Minnesota Fishing Resorts – Leech Lake
Minnesota has so many lakes and so many fishing resorts it can sometimes be hard to find the perfect combination. Some base their choice on the type of fish they most enjoy catching, or the lakes limits on particular species of fish. Some base their choice on the type of lodging they are looking for; whether that be a rustic cabin or a luxurious lake home, and some choose the perfect Minnesota fishing resort based on the fishing potential of the lake on which it is located. Of these three categories Leech Lake tics all the boxes for those seeking out the perfect Minnesota fishing resorts. With nearly a dozen different species of fish with healthy populations, well over 20 different lakeside fishing resort options, and the third largest lake in Minnesota, you would be hard pressed to find another location that offers all these features in such abundance. Need more detail on why all the best Minnesota fishing resorts are on Leech Lake?
Fishing Resort Options
With nearly 30 fishing resort options you can afford to be choosy when you take your next fishing trip. Many offer boat and fishing gear rentals in the spring, summer and fall seasons. Then when winter arrives they offer all you could need to make your ice fishing trip a success, including large ice houses! Several resorts have full lodges with restaurants and more, so after a long day on the water and ice fishing you don’t need to drive to town or cook a meal, you can get everything you need in one location, which means more time to fish and explore Leech Lakes nearly 103,000 acres and 195 miles of varied and beautiful shoreline. Need more reasons to choose a Leech Lake resort during your search for the best Minnesota fishing resorts. How about free fish cleaning and packaging as part of your stay! Many resorts in the area offer this amazing service few appreciate until they have to clean a half dozen fish for the family! We have an amazing amenity/features search tool that can help you easily choose the perfect fishing resort for your needs, check it out now and get matched with the perfect resort.
Fish Slot Limits on Leech Lake
- Walleye – Leech Lake has a unique slot limit for Walleye compared to most other lakes in Minnesota. It allows a slot limit of four Walleye and all Walleye between 20-26” must be immediately released and one over 26” allowed in possession.
- Northern Pike – These large predators have a growing population on Leech Lake. You can take three but may only keep one over 30″.
- Muskie – Leech Lake has provided some of Minnesota’s largest Muskie’s, with the size of the lake allowing them to grow to truly amazing weights. Their is a limit of one and it must be over 54″.
- Bass – These challenging catches can be quite aggressive on Leech Especially during the sunrise hours. The slot limit is 6 total (small & large-mouth) from May 28th to September 11th. During the winter their a 6 catch limit for Large-mouth and catch and release only for small-mouth.
- Crappie – Most often found around Moonlight bay and the surrounding area their is a limit of 10.
- Sunfish- Slot limit of 20. Leech Lake holds the state record for largest Sunfish at over 1 lb.
- Perch – Leech Lake is especially well known for it’s abundant perch population with a 20 a day slot limit.
- Eelpout – No Limit!
- Trout – Sometimes found around the inlets and outlets, there is a 5 catch limit and a season from May to October.
- Whitefish – Another slot limit unique to Leech Lake, their is a limit of 25. Leech Lake holds the record for largest Whitefish at 12 lbs.